Tuesday, July 20, 2010

MaXspeed's Reel Story


I started off 10 years ago making silly stunt videos trying to learn the craft, hoping to get into the film industry. They were so bad I could not even get picked up by America's Funniest Home Videos. I screwed up everything: filming, editing, and worst of all...stunts.

A friend told me one day, "you are more entertaining when you mess up," and Max Speed was born. I made a career out of screwing up stunts and filming them. One day, a milkman recognized me from internet videos and told me he was a DJ for our Halifax Metro Centre where big hockey games are hosted.  He said he knew the producer that plays videos during half-time to entertain the crowds.  "Would you like to have your Max Speed videos play?"

Someone in the audience was putting on a huge motorcycle rally weekend, and contacted me through the Metro Centre and asked if I would do a major public stunt. That is where I jumped a motorcycle off the Bay of Fundy into the ocean, smashed through a wall of light bulbs and did crazy fire displays in front of 10,000 people. After that, anything I did would make the news or television, and people started calling me.

When I put out this trailer to a few friends, they sent it around to people showing what Max Speed had done.  It made its rounds so quickly here because it was something WAY out of my realm, and nothing like anything I had done before. Somehow I went from being a stunt nut, and not a good one, to learning how to create a soundtrack on my studio from a tune in my head, to making sound effects, directing, cinematography. I was scared to put out this film trailer and fail.The support from friends and family finally convinced me, and I submitted the film to your site.

Like my slogan...."I'm Just Keeping It Reel."

No comments:

Post a Comment