Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Making Cockpit

Cockpit Trailer (with new sound design) from Jesse Griffith on Vimeo.

Jesse Griffith writes about making COCKPIT:
"Cockpit" is sheer tenacity. This screenplay has been a finalist in several contests, including the Paranoia Film Festival, Visionfest 2010, Paranoia Film Festival, Scriptsavvy.net, and the Oklahoma Horror Film Festival. Many rate my screenplay as an "EXTREMELY HIGH" budget range. However I wrote it with a modest horror film budget in mind. 96 pages of this story take place confined in a cockpit. The other 24 pages,. well that's where the magic of greenscreen comes in. To prove it, I shot a short film, edited it, and did all the fx work on my laptop. This is home made to the core. Looking at the short, I realized I had enough great material for a trailer for the feature.

I'm not a great FX artist, I'm just a director who is too stubborn to accept that he can't afford to do the James Cameron / George Lucas film inspired stories that I have always loved. I'm not a great sound designer. I'm just a director who is too stubborn to accept that I can't afford a Hollywood level sound design. So I threw myself into these tasks and probably got in over my head. But by doing so, in the end, some friends took mercy on me and helped me out with a couple of shots and others helped with my sound mix. And because it was looking much better than many had ever guessed it would, I even got Greg Edmonson, the composer from Joss Whedon's "Firefly" to do the music for the trailer.

A vote for this trailer is a vote for one man's dream that if made, will engage and excite the millions who love the sci fi genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment